 Organizations / Canada / OBB / 428
427  |  429
Subject:
A Call for Open Communication
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.obb, lugnet.loc.ca.on, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 14 Dec 2011 01:25:39 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hello to the Greater Toronto Area and environs...

There has been some consternation recently regarding LUGs for the GTA.  I wasn't
privy to any 'behind the scenes' discussion or knew of a need for a new LUG
until someone forwarded the announcement to me for 'ToroLUG'.

I'm not here to comment on what may have transpired that led to some people to
start their own LUG.  However, I do have a few comments to make on what, in my
opinion, shoud happen now.

In my opinion, an open and frank communication needs to happen amongst all
persons interested in the betterment of our chosen hobby in the GTA.  My chief
concern is, with the fragmentation of the talented LEGO hobbyists, and the
inevitable breakdown of communication that will happen between LUGS and/or
groups.  This will be a detriment to establishing and maintaining a cohesive,
organized group that businesses and shows want to deal with.

After the last Train show in November, many people voiced interest in doing more
shows, doing more presentations in and around Toronto, and working with the LEGO
retail stores.  This can, again in my own opinion, be best accomplished by a
single coherent group, not multiple, less known groups.

Furthermore, it is also my belief that any presentation/show/display, should
promote us hobbyists as a whole, not individual 'subsets'.  Yes there can be
'robotics only' competitions--that's not the issue.  The issue comes with people
thinking, 'well, I dont' belong to that LUG over there so I can't partake'.

As well, Canada has finally started its own Brick Festival.  This, I belive, is
extremely important to our hobby in general, and to all the GTA LEGO folks in
particular.  We should maintain a healthy tie-in with BrickFete with any
'official' show/presentation/display and promote the BrickFete event.

It's time for more open and honest communication between everyone.  It's not the
time for egos or 'records of wrongdoings'.  If there are issues, and I know of a
few, then let's talk about them.  Fragmentation of LEGO hobbyists within the GTA
at this time is not going to help our hobby.  It's not going to help with our
shows and it's definitely not going to help with our working with LEGO retail
stores or other businesses.  What it will do is make all of us look like idiots
who can't get it together to work out our differences.

It may be time to reassess how the oldest LUG in the GTA has been doing things.
I don't think anyone has an issue with that.  I, of all people, know that
rtlToronto has a very checkered past--we may have been the 'best of the best'
for robotics shows at one point, but we were also not very kind or welcoming to,
well, anything else.  That does affect how other people view us.  I think an
'update' should be in order--not just the running joke 'the kinder, gentler,
rtlToronto'.

As an aside, I have been saying that even the name is a little archaic and
really only means something to us 'old school' peeps.

All that said, I don't believe there is anyone that has come out to dinner, or
attended one of our shows, that doesn't want what's best for our hobby.  If we
can start this dialogue and be open and honest with one another, I think at the
end of theday we will have a better LUG for it--a LUG that can do more shows,
more displays, have more passionate builders...

Anyway, that's how I see it.

Whatever happens know this--I will still be here and there will still be at
least one show per year that everyone's invited to.

Dave K
-a little ironic posting this to LUGNET.  But old habits die hard and I so love
LUGNET.