 Organizations / Canada / OBB / 236
235  |  237
Subject:
Big Blue 3 - Proof of Concept
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.obb, lugnet.loc.ca.on, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 24 Dec 2009 17:10:49 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

So with much josh-taking-caringings and procrastination-ings and other life-thingings that get in the way of good ol’ fashioned lego-buildingings, I pieced together a few monents here and there to put this together--

(image is a link)

Yes there’s video--

12/23/09 - Big Blue 3 - Proof of Concept

So here’s how it works-ish--

Electrical power is provided to the 9v rails via regular train controller

This power is picked up by the ‘modified’ 9v train motor

(modified meaning the motor was an eBay lot that didn’t work so I opened it up and removed the electric motor but left all teh power connections intact)

From the 9v connector on the top of the train motor, electrical power is transferred to the Compressor Car

The 9v connector is then split to 2 power function wires for the 2 XL PF motors

The 2 XP PF motors spin the standard pneumatic pump (which are also modified in that I removed the springs)

These Pneumatic pumps provide pressurized air to the 3 pneumatic air tanks in the engine.

From there, the pressurized air is fed through the pneumatic switches into the small pneumatic cylinders.

(the switches are also modified in that I took a Dremel to the bottom to remove the ‘position’ pips (as inspired by Chris M--he used a soldering iron, I used a Dremel--eh, potato, potatoh)

The small pneumatic cylinders move both te pneumatic switches as well as the rods for turing the train wheels (BBB of course!)

As shown in the video, the train does need a little push to get started and does work reasonably well on the straight-a-ways. However, it doesn’t work well with curves at this time.

Things to do--

Maybe another compressor car, maybe some lubrication for the various moving parts...

Anyway, there it is. It ain’t pretty but it does work.

I was thinking of shipping it over to Mr. Sava for all the bells ‘n whistles, but dont’ want to take his time away from making his brilliant creations.

(and he is, as always, a fantastic inspiration)

Dave K