 Organizations / Canada / OBB / 169
168  |  170
Subject:
A date has been set for the next Ontario Lego Robotics event
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.org.ca.obb, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.loc.ca.on
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 2008 18:45:37 GMT

THE CAN GAME!

Summary

Build a robot made completely out of Lego parts that can find and retain a can. The robot with the heaviest can at the end of the round wins.

Date and Time

Sat 24-Jan-2009 10:00 AM - 04:30 PM

Location

New Toronto Library Alex J. Faulkner - Community Room

110 Eleventh St. Toronto, ON, M8V 3G5 416-394-5350

Google Map

Prizes

1st prize: Set 9604 - LEGO Technic and Pneumatic elements - (In opened condition)

2nd Prize: Set 4404 - Land Buster -

3rd Prize: Set B100 - LEGO Crazy Action Contraptions

The Winner can Choose his prize.

Details

Premise of the Game:

Build a robot that can find the heaviest can in the play field. The play field will contain multiple (unlabeled?) cans of different sizes and shapes, the Largest can is not necessarily the heaviest.

Rules:

  • 2 to 4 Robots can play at the same time
  • Each robot will start in one corner of the play area at a 45 degree
  • Robot will** travel around the play area and try to find the
  • Games will last 3 minutes
  • At the end of the game your robot must only be holding one can
  • Your robot can hold two cans for weighing purposes only (i.e. no
  • Contestants aren’t allowed to weight the cans
  • Can can be switched out
  • Cans can fall over during the game, so keep that in

Can Specifications:

Largest can possible (i.e. 1 Liter Juice can)

Max weight of a can 1kg (assuming that 1 Liter of Juice weighs the same as 1 Liter of water)

Cans do not have to be round.

Meat cans come in a rectangular can with curved sides.

Canned Ham in a Egg Shaped can

Food Drive.
  • Labels will be left on the cans, and covered in white paper (in order to
  • Contestants are asked to bring in cans
Robot restrictions:

Your robot should not exceed 18 x 18 x 18 inch cube at the start of the game.

You can build with either the RCX platform or the NXT platform Depending on what entries we have we may decide to split the competition into 2 different classes.

Definition of an RCX Platform * RCX’s, Scout, Cybermaster Unit, Micro Scouts, Code Pilot, Spybotics module, Power Functions Remote and IR sensor (built into your robot) only * Battery boxes * Any type of Lego Motor * Any Non custom and non NXT sensors. * No Custom Parts (non LEGO String or cutting Flex tubing may be allowed)

Definition of an NXT Platform

NXT

NXT + any programmable brick mentioned in the RCX Platform

Battery boxes

Any type of Lego Motor

Any Non custom sensors. Basically any sensor found on the LEGO Shop @ Home site

No Custom Parts (non LEGO String or cutting Flex tubing may be allowed)

Play field:

The play field will be a 8 x 8 foot Arena using the walls from the old play field (Dave can we still transport these to the Competition?) I will attempt to find a library with non carpeted floors.

Scoring:

By Weight First, Second and Third heaviest cans...

what is the best way to score this... It could be a fluke that some one finds the heaviest cans first...

Thoughts? Ideas?

I have probably missed something, so Lets discuss and iron out some rules.

Foot notes

** or should, Chris’s robot will probably just sit there ;)