 Organizations / Canada / NALUG / 276
Re: Handling "Kid play areas" on layouts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 20:26:48 GMT

John Gerlach <john.gerlach@bestbuy.com.nospam> wrote in message
In lugnet.org.ca.nalug, James Trobaugh writes:
It seems that the K8s are figured by weight. I have two and both are • exactly
43lbs according to the UPS labels. As for what's in them its a very • random
assortment of parts.

jt
I'm sure what you're getting in them is 'overrun' pieces, or pieces that
failed quality control.  Basically - the stuff they can't sell!

When the GMLTC displayed at The Great Create two years ago, we helped with • the
setup.  They had received two huge (4'x4'x4'!) boxes of misc pieces - some • of
them were mis-moulded, a few even had streaks of different colors in the
moulding.  Very obvious that the pieces were rejects from the moulding • lines.
It was fun to pick through the pieces just to see what we could find!

I hope there is another Great Create sometime soon - it's a great event • for a
very good cause...

JohnG, GMLTC

Its funny, the two boxes I have were completely different. One was very
used, most of the pieces were from early 90's and some even 80's. You could
tell it had been played with before since some of the pieces were put
together already. Also I found one Mega-block and a few Duplos in the box.
But none of them were malformed or any strange colors. (well there was one
Duplo that had been cut with a saw of some type in a angle..very strange)
The second box was brand new, lots of UFO and Insect-whatevers parts, none
of the parts looked played with, there were even some stickers included. And
a ton of freestyle and TV chic mini-figs.

I had the understanding that these were parts from rejected sets during the
assembly phase, either the process didn't put the right parts in a set or
just not the right number of parts. Either way it's too costly to re-sort so
they just get dumped into a large bin then put in K8s for promotional type
stuff.

Either way I'm not complaining, these are great for the kids area. Heck
every kid could steal bricks for the next years worth of shows and we'd
still have enough to keep the area stocked. Brad J. really came though for
us on this.

jt