 Organizations / Canada / MonLUG / 408
Re: Congratulations to MonLUG for a very successful show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.org.ca.monlug
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 00:37:24 GMT

"Calum Tsang" <tsangc@mie.utoronto.ca> wrote in message

Congratulations to Martin, Kevin, Luc and Pierre for an excellent event.

I echo Calum's coments completly. The weekend was great! The layout was so
deatiled. No space was empty!

Friday night was a bust, though. Calum and I checked in to our hotel at
like... 19h30. The Longueuil metro station is *right* at the Hotel - the
doors from the hotel to the doors of the terminus are about 30 metres
appart. Our hotel room had a view of La Ronde. I've never stayed at a hotel
with a view of a Vekoma Boomerang. :)

(yes, they're geting a B+M inverted for 2002!)

So we get on at Longueuil. Calum gets to hear the tones for the first time.
That was great. :) We get to Berri-UQAM. SO NICE. Get off at Peel, do some
filming/snapshots. Get off at Lionel-Groulx, do some filming/snapshots. Get
off at LaSalle, do some filming/snapshots.

Get off at Verdun.

Gasp. And. Hit. The. Floor.

UNBELIVEABLE. We are both practically having STROKES. The ceeling...

We attempt to take pictures.

STCUM kiosk man says the following:

"You know, it's going to cost you both a lot of money, in the order of $400,
and a night in jail if I call the police back down and tell them what you
are doing." When he saw that we honestly had no idea what we were talking
about, he explained that it is a serious offence to take pictures in the
Metro.

So here's what TOTALLY BURNS ME UP (as I explained to the man at the Kiosk
as calmly as I could) -

So Montreal builds the WORLDS MOST BEUTIFUL STRUCTURES. They put the BEST
TRAINS I've EVER seen (save Val 206 in Tolouse, omg, perfection right there
folks), and then.

THEN!!!!!!!

They go ONE STEP FURTHER to dangle the perverbial steak in front of my face
by MAKING THE TRAINS SING. And can you JUST imagine my surprise, standing at
Jean-Talon, listening to a train leave and SUDDENLY REALIZING that the three
tones the train make *ARE THE FIRST THREE NOTES OF "NEW WORLD" BY BJORK.*

UNBELIVEABLE.

So I am going on explaining this to the man. Well, minus the Bjork part. And
then I note to him that, oh no! We're NOT ALLOWED TO CAPTURE IT TO SHOW
ANYONE ELSE. It's like the Metro is a BIG SECRET. GOTTA KEEP IT HIDDEN,
Y'KNOW!!!!!! SELFISH BUGGERS!!!

I just *don't* get it. It's just about the sadest thing I can think of.
Well, no. But I mean, it was SO DEPRESSING. I felt sick for about 18 hours
after. I didn't eat. I had it all planned out, what stations I was gonna
film, what shots I was gonna take, what song I was gonna use to edit it all
together. And it just got SHATTERED beacuse of the selfish operational
procedures of the STCUM.

I'm going to write them a letter.

It's so similar to SixFlags. SixFlags has some AMAZING RIDES. They really
what rides to build to create a super high-energy atmosphere at their
megaparks. And then they go and RUIN IT, by running like, one train on a 3
train coaster, understaffing everything, running their flats with lame
programs or having half the rides shut down. In fact, SixFlags Worlds of
Adventure, in Cleavland, FORBIDS YOU TO TAKE PICTURES IN THE PARK. They have
AMAZING RIDES there, and then you're not allowed to take pictures. I've been
yelled at so many times there for trying to sneak footage.

And it's exactly the same with the STCUM. They have the most amazing system
I can think of, and I've seen pictures from virtually every metro in the
world. It's just absolutely, unequivocabbly, mindblowing...

and I'm not allowed to share that with anyone else.

::SIGH.::

For what it's worth, Saturday night got messed up too but Jean-Talon MORE
than made up for it. Sunday morning was great coz I found Raddison and that
was such a great surprise.

    Iain