 Organizations / Australia / 538
RE: Pricing on Lego Sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.org.au
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 01:52:07 GMT

G'day,

I'm not trying to start any cross continent flame wars...just trying to show
people they're not as badly off as they seem to think. [and want others to
think...I'm sure there are places worse off than Australia, too.]

I wouldn't mind it so much, except that all the posts seem to be saying that
because they want cheaper lego in a place with the cheapest lego, it should
become cheaper there, and they're not really thinking that maybe it is
already cheaper than what many people have to pay. I just want to show them
that they could have a lot worse pricing like a lot of others have, and that
they should be happy to at least have what they do have. [1]

I'm sorry if I sound like the whingers I'm trying to educate by showing them
what they do have, as opposed to what they think they don't have [or what
they would like when they already have a similar thing compared to others
outside their country of residence.] the only reason I use Aus as an example
is that I know first hand that we're worse off than those who I reply to. If
I had evidence of another country being worse off, I'd definitely use that
instead.

As to the bit about Box Hill being near Sydney..I suppose it is . It's an
eastern suburb of Melbourne, which is halfway between Sydney and Hobart :)

However, if I can get transport there [Paul are you heading up there?], and
accomodation [anyone?], I'd certainly be going there.

[Of course, it would also be dependant on my fiancee's health...She suffers
from Chronic Asthma, and has frequent hospital stays. If only she was an
AFOL, the collection would grow quite large as I'd be able to get a new set
[or more] for her everytime she went in. Unfortunately, her main intrest in
lego at the moment is trying to find a good subject to microwave :( [3]]

[1] I don't mind complaints about pricing, but they all seem to be based on
ONE country, not the whole world's pricing. If people would actually
complain about the OVERALL overpricing, and not how they feel they in their
country are the only ones with this complaint, then I wouldn't have to bring
this up. [2]

[2] What I'd love to see would be for international S@H to have 1 price to
the world, including postage for each set. That way, irrespective of where
you live, you know that you're getting the same set at the same price. Then
we'd see much fairer trading, and everyone would know how much a set was
worth.

Unfortunately, this isn't likely to happen, but at least we will HOPEFULLY
get one set price, and pay ACTUAL postage on the item, so we won't end up
with people finding it cheaper to get someone in another country to get the
set for somone else, and posting it to them for less than S@H's total price
would have been. [excluding clearance items in stores] I know that everyone
in the US is looking forward to this being completed in the US, but I'd love
to see it completed world-wide before the end of the year..It would make a
good christmas present from TLG to the world.

[3] Although, with Sean's help at LegOz 2000.4 she had a lot of fun with
creating a mardi-gras float of 'Fabuland Bondage scenes' :) [I wish I'd got
pictures now. At the time I didn't think it was worth it..maybe next time.]

Benjamin Whytcross
BWhytcro@PacificAccess.com.au
Ph: (03) 9856 5282
Directory Technology Pty Ltd
1/436 Elgar Road,
Box Hill, 3128

Growing older is compulsory..Growing up isn't :-)