 Organizations / Australia / 1190
1189  |  1191
Subject:
Thank goodness there's new Space ! (was Re: Anyone seen this at a reasonable price?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.org.au, lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 13:49:59 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Paul Baulch writes:

I am looking for the 6977 Arachnoid Star Base for a reasonable price...
[snip]

My theory is that TRU got sick and tired of them sitting around and weren't
willing to drop them below $57 (even though the 25% off took them down to
$43!!!), and forced LA to take them back where they will either be A) forced
upon the smaller toy chains (can you say UFO sets?) or B) turned into
landfill like they did with the tens (hundreds?) of thousands worth of spare
parts they had some years ago.

I thought $57 was an amazing price for a flagship set with an RRP of ~$180.
Not amazing enough to buy a second one though...

The whole landfill thing makes me cry. Couldn't they even give it to
charities or schools?

It's funny, isn't it? You know, two years at $99 and they sell not a one.
Put them at $43 and they sell like hot cakes. But no, they've got to waste
yet more money carting them interstate and bulldozing them into the ground.
You think they'd figure it out... *sigh*

But of course, if the set had been a real one instead of juniorised crud,
this never would have happened... pay heed, TLC.

6977 isn't particularly juniorised: it has some neat features, and
relatively few POOPy bits. That said, it is a peculiarly ugly set, while the
whole Insectoid concept seems poorly thought out and the back-story for the
little critters is totally mysterious. They didn't get much of a run either
(two years?): while their demise was inevitable under TLC's theme turnaround
policy it was certainly hastened by The Force.

The mid- to late-nineties seems to have been plagued by poorly conceived
space and pseudo-space themes. Apart from Insectoids, the vaguely seaQuest
like Aquazone went totally troppo towards the end (see <set:2160> for
example), the UFO Aliens are real nightmare material, and the Rock Raiders
were hampered by pretty mediocre designs and the focus on "this is the hero
team you love" even though their personalities were totally unknown.

Maybe they've turned the corner though, thanks to SW. Better designs, and
stories most of the fans already knew. Life on Mars looks promising too: a
fascinating concept, with a long history in SF and contemporary scientific
relevance. I don't think including human astronauts hurts either, though the
mecha thing is a bit of a worry (are Martians really that keen on Japanese
anime?), as is the Martian fig design (is Todd going to create the newsgroup
lugnet.pastel-seamonkeys?).

--DaveL