 Organizations / 637
  Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.

[ XFUT lugnet.org ] (...) Reading the announcement, I must agree that LEGOFan.net seems redundant. But some things didn't get into the announcement; things _I_ believe will make LEGOFan.net (and WorldLUG as I understand it) significantly different (...) (20 years ago, 12-Feb-04, to lugnet.org, lugnet.build, lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego, lugnet.publish, lugnet.space, lugnet.starwars, lugnet.trains)

  Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.

(...) [Okay, but leaving .general and putting in .admin.general] (...) Which I'm a big fan of. What software, and how far along is it? (...) Also good! [snip] (...) So, sounds like you intend to duplicate a lot of the functionality of Lugnet. Have (...) (20 years ago, 12-Feb-04, to lugnet.org, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.

(...) (don't have much time, leaving for the airport momentarily) You outline some very good principles for the project. My interpretation of the WorldLUG project (which I have been involved in discussion since its inception [1]) is now it is public (...) (20 years ago, 12-Feb-04, to lugnet.org)

  Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.

|Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote: | |"In a sense it _is_ a slap in the face to Lugnet and Todd. Lugnet isn't |open for anybody to experiment with the software and try to develop new |features. Nor is it controlled by the LEGO fan community, it is (...) (20 years ago, 12-Feb-04, to lugnet.org)

  Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.

(...) Ok, all this talk about a "slap in the face" or being "disrespectful" has got to stop. Lugnet isn't being improved/developed. It is stagnet. Furthermore Todd has (URL) said> that other sites being created and providing resources to the (...) (20 years ago, 12-Feb-04, to lugnet.org, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.

(...) Seriously, I think it is excellent that you are willing/able to take things in directions that I couldn't/can't. I wish the best for you and your team. --Todd (20 years ago, 12-Feb-04, to lugnet.org) !

  Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.

(...) Actually, in a lot of respects, Classic-Castle.com drew interes to Lugnet. The goal of Classic-Castle was to improve the on-line experience of the Lego Castle Community, not compete with Lugnet. After Brickfest, there was a general consensus (...) (20 years ago, 12-Feb-04, to lugnet.org, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.

(...) Incorrect. To the best of my knowledge, the only person who has the stated right to moderate anything (specifically, newsgroup posts, since I can't figure out to what else the verb could apply) is Todd Lehman, who has only used that power to (...) (20 years ago, 13-Feb-04, to lugnet.org)

  Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.

(...) There's also Larry P and that other guy (whom I can't remember and am to lazy to search for). (20 years ago, 13-Feb-04, to lugnet.org)

  LUGNET Moderation

(...) As I recall, Larry and Frank Filz have the power to cancel a user's posts at the request of that user, but do *not* have the authority to cancel them as a moderator would (i.e., because the content violates the ToS). (20 years ago, 13-Feb-04, to lugnet.org)

  Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.

(...) Dan will start throwing heavy stuff across the Atlantic, if I claim it is vapor-ware at the moment, but it is at least not in a usable state yet. Basically (and possibly not quite correctly) it is a content management system with access (...) (20 years ago, 15-Feb-04, to lugnet.org, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.

(...) That sounds like mostly server-side stuff. Have you figured out yet what you are going to require from clients (users)? The reason I ask is that I'm an old-fashioned soul, and am unlikely to use discussion groups that are not NNTP-reachable, (...) (20 years ago, 15-Feb-04, to lugnet.org, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.

(...) I think any standards compliant browser should work for the website, oh, and IE. We do want to implement an NNTP interface as well as an SMTP, for as much content as possible. My personal philosophy is that javascript can be used only to (...) (20 years ago, 15-Feb-04, to lugnet.org, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general) !

  Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.

(...) It is. (...) As little as possible. We want to make the content accessible in as many different ways as possible, but preferably using existing protocols like NNTP, SMTP and NNTP. (...) You sound like a Jacob clone. :-) But it could be fun to (...) (20 years ago, 15-Feb-04, to lugnet.org, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.

(...) Which part of the community, specifically? General LEGO fans? Webmasters of other LEGO-related fan web sites? (...) Why? Although I have been vocal in my opinion that Lugnet is not the perfect LEGO hub site, since it deals with a subset of (...) (20 years ago, 16-Feb-04, to lugnet.org, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general) !

  Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.

(...) Well, if it comes down to it, there's a reason the Lugnet groups are all in a lugnet hierarchy. But as you may have gathered from my other posts, I'm strongly in favor of not duplicating discussion forums. (20 years ago, 17-Feb-04, to lugnet.org, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.

In lugnet.org, Kelly McKiernan wrote: [snip the rest of what Kelly said] (...) As Jake explained LEGOfan (the concept, the reasons for it) to me, I think its a great idea. It coincides with much of what the WorldLUG concept posted, so I'm encouraged (...) (20 years ago, 18-Feb-04, to lugnet.org, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general) !

  Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.

(...) Does anyone care to answer Kelly's original post? I'm curious. (URL) (20 years ago, 19-Feb-04, to lugnet.org, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general)