 Organizations / 262
Re: Age limitations - re liability
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 16:12:11 GMT

I am puzzled by the liability problems referenced in this thread.
Someone mentioned, as a comparison, the SCA (Society for Creative
Anachronism), and I'd just like to draw that parallel in a little more
detail:

The SCA holds large events for in mostly public places. These events
include fighting of several kinds, with just a rope and "marshals"
between the fighters and the audience. Fighting often happens on open
fields with a rough surface. Events also frequently involve (if the
venue allows it) consumption of alcohol and tobacco, and also lighting
and cooking by open flames, open campfires, and long flowing clothing.
Age range at these events is from newborn to ancient. You would think
the liability issues in an event like this would be very high, but the
SCA works on a system of waivers. I worked the gate at a recent event
and the waiver system can be a bit of a pain, but it's not that bad:
adult non-members (members already having a permanent waiver as part of
membership) who will be on the field in whatever capacity, sign waivers:
all minors have their parents sign waivers and carry a medical
permission form at all times. The SCA has been doing this for something
like 30 years. They carry insurance, and I am told come under the same
risk category as curling :-)

I'd really like to know how the liability at a Lego club meeting (one
not held in a bar, which obviously minors could not attend anyway) could
be worse to deal with than this, such that a waiver wouldn't do the
trick?

Kevin
--
Personal Lego Web page: