 Organizations / 261
Re: Age limitations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 16:00:56 GMT

I had an idea which might work for some groups (perhaps not NELUG) which
would allow a group to have an age limitation in the 18-21 range but
still allow younger AFOLs to attend meetings. That is, to set the age
limit for *membership*, but to allow attendance at meetings (if at an
appropriate place ie not a bar) if sponsored by a member. That does not
mean "babysitting" by the group: it means that an individual member who
knows the young person in question, takes responsibility for their
behaviour at the meeting. The advantages are that young AFOLs can attend
appropriate meetings (I know there are multiple people who would
sponsor, say, Shiri), the club still has control over who is a member
and doesn't get left with babysitting duties, and individul members have
a choice as to whether they wish to sponsor someone or not.

I kind of do this at VLC with a teenager from my daughter's school, who
is 16. I know him well enough to be perfectly comfortable having him at
a meeting around other people's (and my!) precious Lego, I don't feel
that I have to hover over him. Other kids I know who are Lego fans I
would *not* sponsor because I know I'd have to do major supervision and
I'm not at all interested in doing that.

Kevin
--
Personal Lego Web page:
Open Air Market: Limited edition kit