 Organizations / 248
Re: Starting a LUG
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org
Date:
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 22:12:45 GMT

Hey Jude,

In lugnet.org, Jude Beaudin writes:
My first question is, how many people constitute a group? I know 1 is person,
2 is a couple of people, 3 is a few.:-) But when do you have a group?

Probably as many as you can get. You can have a group with two people, if you
want, or 100. As long as you're having fun.

My next question is, is it hard to get a group together when interests my
vary? i.e. Trains, space, castle, town, etc... Would you break up the meetings
into specific themes or would you put it all together or what?

From what I saw in most groups, if it's a small group then don't bother - just
have everyone bring in their MOCs.
For example, take the DixieLUG meetings -- they mixed life-size sculptures
with trains and castle in their first meeting.
Or STUDS, who's piratical-space dudes mixed in really well with SW.

If the group gets big, you might want to break up the meetings... but for a
start, you shouldn't bother. I'd say, so long as you're under 15 members there
isn't much point in breaking them up, you'll just turn off people who aren't
into that kind of thing, and that's too bad.

Thirdly, what is a good minimum age to have?

Well, people here will attest that I'm biased. I openly admit I am.

But if I were you, I'd set the limit no higher than 14. 12, if possible.

Whatever you do, don't set at at 18. There's just no point in that. I can
expand on that if someone wants me to.

Finally, how do you break up responsability, so that not one individual
is "carrying" the group?

Tough one. I don't know, since I haven't actually been a member of any group.

-Shiri