 Organizations / 190
Re: LUGWORLD map pages 1st try at some pages.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org
Date:
Tue, 9 May 2000 15:14:48 GMT

Eric,

The new site looks great, I think the world view really adds a lot to the
map. The only thing I was thinking of was maybe adding names to the states,
not really for the benefit of those in the US, but for others out side of
the states. I know when you get the European and Asia maps going, I will
need a little help with the countries (math I stayed awake for in school,
geography I caught up on my sleep).

jt

p.s.. I know these maps are finalized yet, but I think DixieLUG is currently
Georgia, Alabama and Tennessee. Maybe Craig can give the official area that
the group covers. I'll give you the NGLTC area when you get around to adding
the LTC map, that part I can give you the official area on.

Eric Kingsley wrote in message ...
Followups 1 level higher this time to lugnet.org

OK based on some of the descusion today I gave a try at some pages tonight • and
here is what I've got.

Basically this is a single thread of pages as it stands from a world map • down
to the regional US LUGs.

Things I included from todays discussion.

1.  Redefined some regions as suggested.

2.  Starting with a higher "World View".

3.  Created image maps for each of the Maps so the maps themselves are
clickable.  (Note: I have only set this up for the current links).  Also • with
the Maps it seems Netscape and IE are not real consistant and both behave • flaky
at times (I know a hugh supprise).  It is nothing serious it just seems • like my
"alt text" does not appear consistantly although it does appear on • occasion.
The other thing I didn't like was that the outline of my image map appears • when
you click on it in IE, Netscape does not which is what I prefer.

4.  Added links to appropriate LUGNET Newsgroups and to the LUGs themselves
where appropriate.

Things I have not included yet.

1.  Black dots to signify member concentrations and general meeting places.
This seems to be something many of you would like so I will probably • include it
soon even though I still have reservations about it.

2.  Image Layering.  I found my software does support it with .jpg's but • not
.gif's (Is that standard?).  One problem is that .jpg's seem to have a haze • to
them especially when I try to save my .gif's as .jpg's.  Anyway I think in • time
I can get this to work I just didn't have enough time to fiddle with it
tonight.

http://www.nelug.org/lugworld/

Some potential problems I might run into are.

1.  I don't think I have maps for all the regions down to the same detail. • I
don't even have a good Canadian map with province breakdowns (damn American • map
company).  I know I have seen plenty of Canadian provice maps in standard
freeware clipart programs though so I am sure I will find one.  I guess I • am
just saying it may be a little work to hunt down appropriate maps of some
regions.

If this goes forward I should be able to update this about once a week as
needed.  The initial effort will be more to get as complete and as detail a
grouping of maps as possible.

Anyway I am planning on putting some NELUG site changes live either • tomorrow or
Wednesday depending on how things go.  When I have some free time I will • keep
working on this project.  Other than getting more maps I have a lot I want • to
do to spruce things up so expect a lot of changes in the next few weeks as • I
further refine the Maps and the Layout.

Eric Kingsley

Check out the baby at:
http://www.thekingsleys.net/