 Off-Topic / Testing / 4214
Re: Foobar
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.test
Date:
Wed, 28 May 2003 14:00:15 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.test, David Eaton wrote:
   Let’s see what happens if I want both FTX formatting and plain text, so’s I know how to write things that I would normally put in curly braces or square brackets or underlined or whatnot. And while we’re at it, let’s see what in the world “computer words” means.

Now, normally (and this happens a lot [like right now]) I can do that. How bout now?

#!/usr/bin/perl

for($i=0;$i<@ARGV;$i++) { print $ARGV[$i]; } print “hi” if($some\other_variable =~ /foo\woo|bar|yuk/\); print “<strong>Test</strong\>\n”;

How come backslash-greater-than shows up once as just a greater-than, but once as an actual backslash-greater-than? And how come all the Perl was on 1 line? Why is this on one line?

I bet this won’t be on 1 line. yep. What happens if I make a bulletted list?

This is a list of some bullets: - a bullet that makes sense - a bullet that’s dumb - one that’s convincing - and one that is sorta useless - all on one line?

Oh my. Yep. That’d be annoying. Good thing plain text is the default. I wonder how this all shows up in NNTP & SMTP...

Oh yeah. Let’s test colors

   This is one color
This is another
More colors
Rainbow yet?
How bout now?
Do these cycle?
What if I skip a few?
Interesting...
Normal again

What if we get that crazy junk that some people get who don’t trim their responses?

Well, that’s a

   good point, but how about if my uncle were a pretzel?

Fortunately, I don’t think he’s a pretzel, but I’ll ask him. But for now, I’m happy that he’s not drunk.

But we can sequester them indefinitely
More text

Hmm... that’s about all I can think to test at the moment. Hmm...

DaveE

Oooo, yeah, and the ‘brief’ format doesn’t seem to work with FTX formatting...

Hmm... another enhancement seems to be that I now can’t submit this owing to the fact that most of it is quotes. A nice feature, I suppose-- however occasionally one denotes a forwarded message using greater than symbols; like, say if I received a message from Lego (like from Jake, say) that he wanted and/or didn’t mind it getting posted to the web. I suppose that I’d have to denote it otherwise, which isn’t all that much bother. Interesting, though. And I’ve got to wonder what the turnaround time will be for things like that when not using the web interface. If someone submits something via SMTP or NNTP, do they get an email notification that it can’t be posted in lieu of the typical authentication email? Is there a quickie way provided to trim extraneous quotes, like a web form containing the post in a big ol’ text box? SMTP probably isn’t a problem since most (if not all) mail readers keep track of sent mail, but what about NNTP? I suppose it would have to be provided in some sort of web format, or (I suppose) in the email notification so you could actually edit the message there?

How am I doing text wise? I still want text to avoid the 45% response rule, just to see what happens with the other stuff above when it’s changed to have the greater-than’s in front of each line. Speaking of which... hm... I wonder what happens if FTX code gets too close to the line wrap in a ‘history’ area? for most it probably won’t matter.. but that’ll have to wait for later, I suppose.

DaveE