 Off-Topic / Testing / 2068
Re: Ford Prefect
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.test
Date:
Sat, 8 Jul 2000 00:15:28 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.test, Erin Windross writes:
test

Another thing that got forgotten was the fact that against all probability a
sperm whale had suddenly been called into existence several miles above the
surface of an alien planet.
And since this is not a naturally tenable position for a whale, this poor
innocent creature had very little time to come to terms with its identity as a
whale before it then had to come to terms with not being a whale anymore.
This is a complete record of its thought from the moment it began its life
till the moment it ended it.
Ah...! What's happening? It thought
Er, excuse me, who am I?
Hello?
Why am I here? What's my purpose in life?
What do I mean who I am?
Calm down, get a grip now ... oh! this is an iteresting sensation, what is it?
It's a sort of ... yawning, tingling sensationin my...my...well I suppose I'd
better start finding names for things if I want to make any headway in what
for the sake of what I shall call an argument I shall call the world, so let's
call it my stomach.
Good. Ooooh, it's getting quite strong. And hey, what about this whistling
roaring sound going past what I'm suddenly going to call my head? Perhaps I
can call that ... wind! Is that a good name? It'll do ... perhaps I can find a
better name for it later when I've found out what it's for. It must be
something very important because there certainly seems to be a heck of a lot
of it. Hey! What's this thing? This ... let's call it a tail - yeah, tail.
Hey! I can really thrash it about pretty good can't I? Wow! Wow! That feels
great! Doesn't seem to achieve very much but I'll probably find out what it's
for later on. Now - have I built up any coherent pictures of things yet?
No.
Never mind, hey, this is really exciting, so much to find out about, so much
to look forward to, I'm quite dizzy with anticipation ...
Or is it the wind?
There really is alot of that now isn't there?
And wow! Hey! What's this thing suddenly coming towards me very fast? Very
very fast. So big and flat and round, it needs a big wide sounding name
like ... ow ... ound ... round ... ground! That's it! That's a good name -
ground! I wonder if it will be friends with me?

And the rest, after a sudden wet thud, was silence.

Curiously enough, the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of
petunias as it fell to the ground of the planet beside the sperm whale was "Oh
no, not again." Many people have speculated that if we knew exactly why the
bowl of petunias had thought that we would know a lot more about the nature of
the Universe than we do now.

Man... that... was beautiful! Classic!