 Off-Topic / Pun / 269
Re: Pronunciation Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.pun
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 01:42:03 GMT

Tom McDonald wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Scott Smallbeck writes:
A question that I now have is what is the correct pronunciation of TECHNIC?
I have always pronounced it tech-nick while I often hear other saying
tech-nique.

I say Teck-nick. While I used to say tech-nique, I realized that it's not true
anymore given some of the juniorization of the theme, so there's less true
building technique involved.

I'm having deja-vu all over again;-)

Correct pronunciations:

teck-nick
sk- Al- uh [1]
Jiff
poe-tay-toe
toe-may-toe
her-ass-ment
Or-eh?-gun
t-ou-n june-your

While we are on the topic,

*ahem* Technic-ally, we are off-topic. Any discussion solely about Lego in
this room is off-topic :-) Thus, anything else is on topic.

Unless we argue about it, then we're back off-topic.

what about Scala?  Most people I know pronounce
it with a long A but a case could be made for using a short A.

I say Scay-la. IMO, either way, it just sounds *bad*. Scala should have been
the name of a reptiloid System theme.

rep-tie-lloyd

Guess I have too much time on my hands today.

Why? Are you wearing several dozen wristwatches?

could just be cooking with parsely, sage, and rosemary

-Tom McD.
when replying, beware of ticking spamcake.

Or the spamming tickcake.

-John

[1] funny story (to me, at least).  When Scala first came out, the logo had the
"S" swoop around in close proximity to the "L".  My daughter saw it as a "T", and
called it Scata.  *That's* how it's pronounced in our household;-)