 Off-Topic / Pun / 1119
Re: A Small Rant About Word Usage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.pun
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 2004 00:05:23 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Orion Pobursky wrote:
Am I the only annoyed by the use of the word "ouster".   The definition of
this word make no sense when compared to other words with the "-er" suffix.
To me the only usage of this word should be in referring to "someone in the
process of ousting or has in the past ousted" and not to "the act of
ousting".  In other words, instead of saying "I call for the CEO's ouster"
one should say "I call for the ousting of the CEO" since the former sounds to
me like you calling for "the person who ousted/is ousting the CEO".

Isn't Ousterreich near Hungary?  They used to be part of the same country, but
the former got "Ousted", and thus the name.
     - Schlickbernd's Insidious Book of Spurious Quotations and Dubious Facts

-->Bruce<--