 Off-Topic / Geek / 977
Re: Transit Time to Mars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 00:13:35 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, James Powell writes:

Weren't these banned under one of the START treaties? I seem
to recall some treaty of some description banning most types
of Nuclear rockets. It could, however, have been motors that
utilised nuclear explosions as a means of propulsion........

As far as I can tell, they are not banned...either the "lucifer" type, using
multi nuke bombs to push you, or a constant nuke reactor type.  However, the
Lucifer type is -not- something I want to be on the _planet_ that they test it
out on, since it involves @500 atomic explosions to get to orbital v's...if • not
more...

Detonating nuclear weapons in space was prohibited by the Limited
Test Ban Treaty of 1963, which banned detonating nuclear devices
in the air, in the ocean, or in space.

--

jthompson@esker.com   "Float on a river, forever and ever, Emily