 Off-Topic / Geek / 93
92  |  94
Subject:
Win32 GUI woes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 18:24:52 GMT

Hey all,

I'm wondering if anyone knows any cure for the following teeth-gnashing
features that Win NT 4.0 has:

1 - You open a new window, launch an app, etc. and it takes up an ungodly
amount of real estate on the screen.  Like 80% of the pixels on-screen.  The
problem gets bigger as your pixel count does.  It's really annoying when I
open a folder with, say, five icons, but I'm left staring at a window full
of dead space.  (1)

2 - I have an Explorer window (list view, no tree pane) that I want to come
up at the same size and position every time I start it from its shortcut.
Sometimes it does, but sometimes (seemingly after a reboot) it comes up in a
fashion described by item #1.

Are there any registry settings I can take advantage of?  Are there any
3rd-party apps that will take care of these for me?  I am not willing to
accept suggestions that Win98 and / or IE4.0 desktop can solve these for me
-- I prefer to use an OS that doesn't crash daily.

Oh yeah, one other thing.  Does anyone recommend a good toolbar / launchbar
app?  I've been using Stiletto, but its evaluation period has expired and
I'm not sure I like it all that much.

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  One really cool feature X-Windows managers tend to have is the geometry
handler, where you can explicitly specify screen coordinates on the
command-line when you launch an app.  Sadly, this is another Unixism which
was studiously ignored in Redmond.

Darth Maul Lives