 Off-Topic / Geek / 882
Re: Science Fiction (was Re: Transit Time to Mars)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 14:46:56 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Jasper Janssen writes:
Oops!  Well, it's obviously derived from Pyramids--that's what I was
erroneously referring to.

It is? I think I've read Pyramids, but I didn't get that.

  I'm deriving it from Ptraci, Ptaclusp, and the like.  I've also read a
discussion of this, though whether it was on Usenet or elsewhere, I can't
recall.  I'll look into it if you're really curious.

My mistake.  I wasn't aware that he'd chosen it.
Anyway, the rest of my post still stands!  8^)

Possibly. I haven't read the last few so I can't say whether they were
very substandard. I also don't tend to see things like that very
strongly, anyway.

  When I say substandard, by the way, I mean only that they lacked the
tightness of some of his other stuff, as though he's "dumbing-down" his work
to appeal either to a broader (Juniorized?) audience or at the behest of his
publishers.  I admit, the latter seems unlikely, given his success.

    Dave!