 Off-Topic / Geek / 812
Re: Transit Time to Mars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 17:48:05 GMT

Care to expand on these "USAF experiments"?  Got links?

http://www.roadrunner.com/~mrpbar/rocket.html

Has some information on the subject in question.

apparently it is not all that bad even in atm, but 250 K lbs thrust is not all
that much when launching large objects, especially from a 15-20K lb + fuel
motor.

(It's the burn times that are neat, 6-8 hrs at 250K lbs thrust is quite a
substantial delta-V for even a very heavy object)

I know that there was some pictures shown in one of the films of the 'nuclear
waste' type films (sorry, don't remember the name, but I do know it showed the
inside of the NERVA building, and the motor on the stand.  (one of the motors
is still on the stand, I assume without fuel in it :)

James P