 Off-Topic / Geek / 75
  Serial Connection Distance

How long can a cable be that connects serial ports together before it has to be amplified? I've heard parallel port cables shouldn't be more than 6' TIA -Tom McD. when replying, please wipe your feet on the spamcake before entering. (25 years ago, 11-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Serial Connection Distance

Once upon a time, (on Fri, 11 Jun 1999 16:41:54 GMT, to be precise!), Tom McDonald uttered the following profundities.... (...) Shouldn't this be:"when replying, please ensure maximum spamcake/message seperation requirements are exceeded"?? (25 years ago, 11-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Serial Connection Distance

(...) hehe, uh, yeah, uh, that's it. :D BTW, nevermind the question. I found out that it's a 12V connection to be used so it'll go further than I thought. I was thinking it was only 5V. -Tom McD. when replying, note that anti-spamcake has never (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

Tom McDonald wrote in message ... (...) You should be able to get 25m, depending on the cable and speed. At 9600 in a clean environment I've seen two 25m cables in series working, but that is IMO pushing it. 115k will probably only go 5m or so (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Serial Connection Distance

(...) Depends. RS232, standard PC serial cables, should get 25 metres, IIRC. RS432, which is a balanced serial system, has reaches in the hundreds of metres range. Jasper (25 years ago, 18-Jun-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)