 Off-Topic / Geek / 116
Re: Serial Connection Distance
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 22:51:23 GMT

On Fri, 11 Jun 1999 16:41:54 GMT, "Tom McDonald"
<radiotitan@spamcake.yahoo.com> wrote:

How long can a cable be that connects serial ports together before it has to
be amplified? I've heard parallel port cables shouldn't be more than 6'

Depends. RS232, standard PC serial cables, should get 25 metres, IIRC.

RS432, which is a balanced serial system, has reaches in the hundreds
of metres range.

Jasper