 Off-Topic / Geek / 662
    Engine Speed Regulation —Hao-yang Wang
   Here are some of the questions that have been nagging me since I was a kid. How does the press of the throttle affect the RPM and the torque of the engine? By looking at the R/C model engines, it seems to me that the throttle controls the amount of (...) (25 years ago, 28-Oct-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

        Re: Engine Speed Regulation —Larry Pieniazek
   (...) Working from memory and I could be wrong. But I doubt it. Review. Reciprocating steam engines function by admitting pressurised steam into a chamber (the cylinder) where it expands, doing work against the walls. One of the walls (the piston (...) (25 years ago, 29-Oct-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.trains)

        Re: Engine Speed Regulation —James Powell
      (...) Sorry Larry, not true. The throttle controls the pressure in the steam chest (Ideally), which controls the speed. (in fact, it does regulate pressure, but also regulates volume) What you are suggesting is done on some engines (corliss mill (...) (25 years ago, 29-Oct-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.trains)

         Re: Engine Speed Regulation —Terry King
      Great detailed explanations! If I simplify things, the throttle on a steam engine controls Torque. To set a certain speed with a certain load, a certain torque is needed. The speed regulator (governor) is a device that controls the applied torque so (...) (25 years ago, 29-Oct-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.trains)

         Re: Engine Speed Regulation —Larry Pieniazek
     An otto and a diesel are different things. An otto is not reversible without a lot of thought about how to get the spark timing right. (25 years ago, 29-Oct-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.trains)

        Re: Engine Speed Regulation —Hao-yang Wang
   Thanks for the explanation! (Wow, so it is really possible to explain how the steam engine works without using a single picture!) (...) This looks like the PWM (pulse width modulation) method RCX uses to control its motor powers. Why the steam (...) (25 years ago, 2-Nov-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.trains)

        Re: Engine Speed Regulation —Larry Pieniazek
   Well, James corrected me and he's right(1). The Throttle is a restrictor (if you look up throttle, one meaning is to cut off airflow) in the steamline. Restricting the flow reduces the pressure in the steam chest. However most valve gear (cf. (...) (25 years ago, 2-Nov-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.trains)

        Re: Engine Speed Regulation —James Powell
    (...) (yes, they do regulate power, but I'm used to models not full size, where the water is of more concern usually than the power. Larry, take a look at (URL) some pics of my engines. For info, the Britannia (the green railway engine!) is very (...) (25 years ago, 2-Nov-99, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.trains)