 Off-Topic / Geek / 630
629  |  631
Subject:
fun fun fun - new BP6 dual celeron system
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sat, 16 Oct 1999 03:24:29 GMT

Didn't sleep much last night, probably won't tonight either.  Having
a blast playing with my new dual celeron system.  Here's the specs:

Abit BP6 (supports dual Socket 370 Celerons)
2x oem Celeron 366's (running at 550)
2x GlobalWin "bigarse" heatsinks and fans
256 MB PC100 SDRAM (glad I bought it when it was cheap
  otherwise this box would've doubled in cost)
Tekram DC-390UF Ultra-Wide SCSI adapter
Plextor 12/20 CD-ROM drive
IBM 22GXP 18gb ATA/66 hard drive
In-Win IW-Q500A full tower case

Thought about going all SCSI on this one, but I got the IBM drive
for $197, and the cheapest I could have picked up good SCSI drives
was $455 for an IBM U2W LVD drive, which would have necessitated
buying an additional U2W SCSI adapter, $169 for the Tekram
DC-390U2W.  I figured for about $450 less I could settle for IDE on
this machine.

Mainly building this one to do some testing with NT Server doing
various things - Proxy, IIS, maybe some SQL Server once I knock the
MCSE out and start working on the MCDBA.

It's a pretty sweet box so far.  Only problem I've had with it is
Windows 2000 RC2 refuses to install/run if I have the Celerons
overclocked at all.  Played with all the normal things, voltage,
etc, to no avail.  The Celerons do 550 at 2.0v just fine in NT4 and
98, but W2k doesn't like em that way.  Oh well, I wanted this for a
server anyway, not a gaming machine.

I also picked up a Cybex 4-port Switchview(TM).  We've used these
forever at work and I was tired of using various remote control
packages to work with my monitor-less test machines.  Now I can use
all 3 of my machines with just one keyboard/mouse/monitor - awesome.
Switchview was a little pricey, $172 for the box and $44 for the
4-computer cable bundle, but well worth it imo.

All in all I guess I spent about ...  $623 putting this thing
together.  Don't really count the memory, plextor, or SCSI adapter
since those are all pulls from existing machines that could do with
them.  Not bad for a dual-processor 550.  :)

Oh, and yeah, I'll be throwing Linux on it, just to do some tests
with VmWare...

--
The parts you want and nothing else?
http://www.guarded-inn.com/bricks/