 Off-Topic / Geek / 5167
Re: Any WordPress gurus out there?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2007 14:47:24 GMT

"Ross Crawford" <ross.{mylastname}@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:JDw5Gp.LJ6@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Mike Walsh wrote:
I am running WordPress for the NCLTC and NCLUG web sites and even though
have turned on the setting which requires registration to comment, I
still
receive a bunch of spam comments.  Anyone know how this is happening and
what I can do to prevent it?  I assume it is some hole someone is
exploiting
but haven't found a solution.  WordPress is fairly close to the latest
revision (I think).

Hi Mike,

From what I understand, that setting will not affect spambots. I think the
only
way to reduce the spam comments (especially pingback & trackback) is to
activate
the Askimet plugin (comes with recent WP) and possibly also install a
plugin
like Bad Behaviour, which analyses request headers. Get it at
http://www.homelandstupidity.us/software/bad-behavior/

ROSCO

Thanks for the tip - turning on the Askimet plugin seems to have solved the
problem.

Mike

Mike Walsh - mike_walsh at mindspring.com
http://blog.carolinatrainbuilders.com - My LEGO Blog