 Off-Topic / Geek / 5021
Re: Preposterously simple stat question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 21 Jun 2005 16:11:35 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Dave Schuler wrote:
Assume a weekly lottery that draws six numbers from the series 1 through 40,
with no duplicates.  Statistically speaking, am I better off repeatedly playing
the same six numbers selecting six numbers at random each week?

Statistically, assuming it's a fair draw, there should be no difference, as this
is a draw with replacement (each time you start drawing 6 numbers, all 40 are
there) at the start of the draw, between any 6 numbers.

Non statistically, that is, taking psychology of yourself and other players into
account, if we assume it's a fair draw, then you would want to pick numbers that
OTHER people are less likely to pick, (since the prize is shared out) to
increase the prize value. But that's pretty imponderable unless you know what
gets picked a lot and think it's a trend likely to continue.

Also, it may be more convenient for you (and thus of slight economic positive
value) to pick teh same numbers each time to reduce the time you spend on
playing... OR, it may increase your pleasure in playing by thinking about which
numbers to pick each time suggesting that you should pick different ones

If it's an unfair draw, your best bet, of course, is to pick the numbers more
likely to be drawn, but you'd need to know how exactly it was rigged. Most mobs,
er, state governments, don't share that info out.

It seems to me that if (in a different example) you randomly pick a number
between 1 and 10 and I have to guess it, my chances of getting it right are one
in ten regardless of whether I stick with the same choice or re-shuffle it each
time (assuming that you likewise randomly re-select your number each time).  Is
this correct?

Yes.

And does it also apply to a 40-digit lottery pool?

Yes, if it's a fair draw.

I’m always embarrassed that I don’t know this stuff, but I never had a course in
statistics, and I tend to second-guess my reasoning.

Don't let that stop you from playing the lottery, it makes the prizes bigger for
me when I play... (which is only when the expected present value is larger than
the bet)