 Off-Topic / Geek / 4897
  The Final Frontier never saw this...

(URL) it was sad, but the Enterprise still makes my eyes misty. I was 9 years old when I saw this on the telly for the first time. I remember hearing the Trekkie writing campaign to get Carter to name the first shuttle 'Enterprise'. I also remember (...) (20 years ago, 2-Nov-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: The Final Frontier never saw this...

(...) Originally only funding for three orbiters were authorized and two shuttles (Columbia and Enterprise) were ordered in the summer of 1972. NASA wanted five orbiters but the Office of Management and Budget felt three was sufficient to meet the (...) (20 years ago, 2-Nov-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: The Final Frontier never saw this...

(...) Not at all. The Pathfinder, Challenger, Enterprise and Columbia were all built under the original contract to Rockwell. Pathfinder was strictly a mockup (an 'orbiter simulator'), Challenger was (originally) constructed for stress-testing the (...) (20 years ago, 2-Nov-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)