 Off-Topic / Geek / 4897
4896  |  4898
Subject:
The Final Frontier never saw this...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 2004 15:35:14 GMT

http://us.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/11/01/space.enterprise.reut/index.html

And it was sad, but the Enterprise still makes my eyes misty.  I was 9 years old
when I saw this on the telly for the first time.  I remember hearing the Trekkie
writing campaign to get Carter to name the first shuttle 'Enterprise'.

I also remember the flights off the back of the 747, the Nat. Geo. articles, and
so much more--possibly the last time when everyone was enthusiastic about what
NASA was doing...

But if I recall correctly (throwing this out to the 'geeks'...)

The Enterprise and the Columbia were virtually identical--the Enterprise was the
first shuttle built, and the Columbia was the first one to get into space.

Then the Challenger, Atlantis, Endeavour were built, like 10 feet bigger in the
cargo bay.

In the article, it says that there were 3 'original' sister shuttles--I thought
there were only 2--Enterprise and Columbia.

Anyway, that article brought me back.  I think I have to take a trip sometime to
see the Enterprise.

Dave K