 Off-Topic / Geek / 4767
Re: Bad news for NASA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek

Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 2004 00:55:33 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
   And you thought the brouhaha over the HST was intense... this one will turn into a big old catfight before it’s over.

http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=20040721-120555-7068r

All those new initiatives were a neat idea, but as you can see Shuttle has eaten them alive. Congress voted $4.3 billion for a shuttle that won’t fly before that money is all gone. It has always done this because our lawmakers are addicted to voting money for their home states, and Shuttle has been pork since Nixon. New initiatives are a risk, because they threaten some of the largest Shuttle handouts. No matter how irrational Shuttle might be.

The bill is also supposed to pay for the completion of our obligations to the ISS. This too is a boondoggle.

Arguing about what this means - somebody has it in for manned spaceflight for instance - involves a fatal assumption. That is that NASA offers any hope of furthering that goal. If you think the answer is no, as I have been convinced, then shutting down NASA’s manned flight operations and privatizing its assets would a good thing for space. Some of the hearings under way are leading to cracking it apart, but I’m not holding my breath.

None of this is meant to reflect on NASA’s unmanned exploration directives which have done so much on less money.

The Russians are making jokes about NASA going out of business on $20 billion a year.

-Erik

http://appropriations.house.gov/ Subcommittee on Veterans etc. made this vote If one of your congresscritters is on this subcommittee, write them a letter. Bite the hand that feeds your neighborhood a $7.3 million NASA supercomputer facility. (ranking member Mollohan, Fairmont WV.)