 Off-Topic / Geek / 4651
  Re: New LUGNET server hardware details

(...) Nope, I hate tape backup (too slow, too small, too expensive, too unreliable) and CDR's are too small and too labor intensive. Of course, the lack of a CDRW drive doesn't preclude physical media backups from being carried out elsewhere. (...) (...) (20 years ago, 29-Feb-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: New LUGNET server hardware details

(...) I agree completely on the utility of tape. Speed, size, cost, and reliability are always a problem; tape systems seem to always be a generation behind what disk drives need (and with the relative demand curves, they are not going to catch up). (...) (20 years ago, 29-Feb-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)