 Off-Topic / Geek / 4483
Re: Black Holes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 2003 03:17:18 GMT

No, Stefan, a Black Hole is a collapsed super-giant star. If a star is like
our sun it will grow, then shrink to a white dwarf. If it were some bigger,
it would collapse to a neutron star (where a spoonful weighs millions of
tons), and if it were a super-giant star such as Rigel it collapses under
it's own weight causing a rip in the space-time continuum.

The space toilet bowl effect is what is believed to occur because of
centrifical force from collecting objects and matter and also from collected
images of theorized black holes in the center of galaxies, Cygnus X-1, and
others.

-Rick

"Stefan Garcia" <sastrei@netscape.net> wrote in message
A Black Hole is supposed to be a collapsed neutron (type?) star, right? • So
then, why is a Black Hole always depicted as an infinite toilet-flush?  I • can
understand that the "matter disc" forms into a disc because of gravity, • like the
rings of a planet, but shouldn't the actual
whatever-is-at-the-heart-of-a-black-hole be an infinitely small pinpoint?

I'd attribute this to popular myth, except that even NASA seems to show • the
"infinite toilet-flush" as the shape of a black hole.

-Stefan--"maybe too much time on his hands"-G.