 Off-Topic / Geek / 4477
Re: Black Holes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 2003 15:47:44 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Stefan Garcia wrote:
I figured as much.  So they really are infinitely dense pinpoints then, >right?

     That's the prevailing theory.  Another is that they really are a toilet
flush, with all of the sucked in matter getting spat out somewhere else through
a spatial wormhole of some sort.  Carl Sagan tossed that out as a possibility in
Contact (book, not movie), and Walt Disney did the same with The Black Hole.
It's a neat theory, but so far we haven't seen any concrete evidence of any
matter spouts to support it (then again, Sagan's explanation does deal with this
problem to a certain extent).

     Anyways, back to the theory at hand, yes, the physical reality would be an
infinitely small pinpoint of infinitely dense matter, where the more matter it
accumulates, the easier it is to grab more.  The effect as far as the rest of
the galaxy would see it is an infinite toilet-flush, since stuff gets sucked in,
and noone generally cares enough to actually follow it to the final destination.