 Off-Topic / Geek / 437
Re: Cyrillic
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 14:07:58 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote in message <37C68BD8.838393B1@voyager.net>...
OK, here's a question for you geeks.

On a windows 95 box, is there an easy way to shift characters to and
from the cyrillic character set?

My exchange student from 2 years ago is back, she's gotten a student
visa, and is going to college at Grand Rapids Community College. She's
from Siberia.

I have turned on cyrillic enablement and I can create things in cyrillic
by toggling the english/russian toggle that appears in the tray.

But one of her relatives sent her mail in cyrillic, using the internet.
Julia has a free email account, and somewhere along the way it got
folded into the alternate characters (all the as with umlauts and
twiddles on top).

I don't see an easy way to fold it back into the cyrillic character set.

Restating the question, is there a way (say within word or some other
text display program) to change the character set used, or to force the
characters to shift back to the specialty cyrillic?

I fear this is not a well formed question.

--

I think there is no valid formulation for free e-mail services (we, Turks,
have the same problem with our native language), at least (more probably) I

Using a regular e-mail account and one of the popular mail client software
like Netscape Messenger or MS Look Out! with Cyrillic language support
loaded may be an alternative solution. The preliminary request is
Windows95/98 also should have Cyrillic support installed, but you said you
already have it done.

I hope this would helpful. Actually it is a shameless try of me, advising a
man who earns his money from computers..:-)

Selçuk