 Off-Topic / Geek / 4243
Re: On a scale of 0 to 10?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 18:08:15 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Adrian Drake writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, David Eaton writes:
I've got a function that represents a quality rating, based on 2 parameters,
which are on a scale of 0 to 1:

(d-k)*k => quality (q)

Notice that this yields a sort of wacky result, insofar as the quality can
vary between -1 and 0.25, not -1 and 1 or -1 and 0 or 0 and 1. Icky. Anyway,
what I'd *like* to do is translate the resulting quality rating (q) onto a
scale (s) of 0 to 10. In other words, for q = -1, you get a 0, and for a q
of .25, you get a 10.

Problem. Assuming a linear distribution for 0.25 => 10, and -1 => 0, we get:

s = 8q + 8

Well, that's all well and good, except for when q = 0, we get s = 8, and I'd
rather that a quality of 0 translated to 5 rather than 8, since an 8 implies
that such a quality is really good, and in reality, a quality of 0
represents 'middle of the road'.

So. I figured why not assume a quadratic solution? IE: s = Aq^2 + Bq + C,
with known points (-1,0), (0,5), and (0.25,10). However. This seems to yield:

s = 12q^2 + 17q + 5

So, what's wrong with that? Well, for some values of q (like q = -0.72), s
results in a *negative* value (in this case -1.0192). ACK! That means that
*some* things that have better quality ratings actually have *LOWER* 0-to-10
rankings!

I assume I want a logarithmic scale function instead... How do I set that up
& solve for it? Or do I want something totally different?

DaveE

How about a double-linear solution?  from -1 to 0, translate linearly from 0 >to 5.  From 0 to .25, translate linearly from 5 to 10.  You won't have a
single equation, but that seems to accomplish what you want, right?

Thought about that... If necessary I guess, but I'm pretty sure there's a
way to do it. I think what I need is:

s = Ae^(q + B) + C

And at the moment, I've solved:

C = -Ae^(B - 1)
A = 10 / (e^(B + .25) - e^(B - 1))

And I'm scratching my head like crazy to solve for B:

e^(B + .25) + e^(B - 1) = 2e^B

It's been too long since algebra! Anyone know how to solve for B here?

DaveE