 Off-Topic / Geek / 4236
Re: Access Help
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 2003 15:37:19 GMT

James & All,

Can you post and example of the type of queries you have been trying? I know
you said they where giving you errors, but at least we'd have an idea of
what you are trying to do.

Yes, I have a total query, where it is running a sum of all the data from a
date range (say 1/1/02 to 12/31/02 or whatever). The value I am trying to
evaluate is a calculated sum of various percentages of our recovery numbers,
in this case, it is .8212%

What I need to do is take this number, and evaluate based on our incentive
(less than 78% = no bonus, Between 78% and 78.5%, it is 1% bonus, and
anything over 78.5% is 2% bonus.

I can write a query and get a evaulation of this recovery percentage, and
get a true / false value (-1 being true,0 being false) However, I can't seem
to figure out a way to take this value, and then publish the 0, 1%, or 2%
into a form or report.

I am unsure if this is a correct way to go or not, I have about 5 different
Access books here, but I can't seem to find a good way of doing this.
What my attempts have been so far have been to create a new table with this
recovery bonus percentage. Then I have a query get the relevant data from
the total query, and then evaluate it, based on the percentage. I have been
testing one so far, if it is over 78.5%, and I get the -1.

Then, when I write an update query, I put the this accumlator (REC-PER-ACC)
in the field, I put the Update to [REC-PER-ACC] + .200 and I put the
Criteria as [REC-TEST]=-1 When I run this, along many others, it gives me
the same error over and over, that being, "Operation must use an updatable
Query".

Now, I am not sure if I am even approaching this right, or I need to do
something else. My big question is there a better way of comparing this
number to our bonus and incetives, and publishing that percentage? I can
publish the true and false fine, but I can't get it to compare if it is true
and false, and then publish the 0, 1%, or 2%.

The funniest thing is I know how they made it work in Excel, but I can't
seem to replicate that in Access. :/

I hope this is enough information, please tell me if you need something else.

Scott Sanburn
--
Scott E. Sanburn http://www.scottesanburn.org
Member, MichLUG / MichLTC http://www.michlug.org