 Off-Topic / Geek / 4190 (-5)
  Re: math question (or pattern... whatever...)

(...) I already proved that I should stay out of this... but. When you had 3 doors to pick from, it was 1/3 that whatever door you choose is the correct one. However, after opening one of the doors you didn't pick (assuming the host is not opening (...) (22 years ago, 4-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: math question (or pattern... whatever...)

(...) Actually, there's a 2/3 chance that it's behind door Z! A very sneaky problem, in fact. It was shown to us in high school as the subject of a very minor controversy. After being published as "2/3 chance" in a math publication, some college (...) (22 years ago, 4-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: math question (or pattern... whatever...)

(...) I think the two answers depend on a more accurate statement of the problem. If the problem is stated that you pick two marbles, and given that the first one you pick is red, what is the chance the second one is red, then order matters, and the (...) (22 years ago, 4-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: math question (or pattern... whatever...)

(...) doh, you're right :) Also, I was calculating the chance of getting 2 red marbles, in general, not checking the chance given the first one was red... :) That's what you get when you do an experiment, and have an expected solution in your (...) (22 years ago, 4-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: math question (or pattern... whatever...)

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Dave Schuler writes: <snip> (...) I'd say that me drawing a red one is 1 in 3, and you drawing a red one is one in 3 so the chances are for us to draw a red at the same time is 1 in 9. The chances to draw a blue one at the (...) (22 years ago, 3-Mar-03, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact