 Off-Topic / Geek / 4147
Re: webpage design questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 05:28:58 GMT

Erick <erick_jensen@hotmail.com> wrote:
As I'm building a webpage I wonder this...  What is the standard size I
should make the page?  Seems like people would say 800x600, which I assume
is a good size for 15in monitors.  But I don't have one, right now I'm on a
17, and that's because the desk I have now is too small for my 19, so I'm
comfortable with 1024x768.  Since I'm building a lego webpage I figured I'd
ask you guys, people who use legos, and webpages.  Clever eh?

Keep in mind that even people who run at high resolutions don't always have
their browser window maximized. I prefer a narrower window -- 800 or so
pixels wide. This is because text is easier to read if it's not in long long
lines (you tend to lose your place in the wrap). But anyway, the important
thing is it's the *width* you need to worry about designing for. People
don't mind scrolling up and down, but sideways scrolling is really annoying.

Some really good quick tips: <http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20021223.html>
(In cartoon form, even!)

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@mattdm.org        <http://www.mattdm.org/>