 Off-Topic / Geek / 4120 (-5)
  Re: A space physics question

(...) weight in space so we'll talk in inertia or mass. If you are a single person winching a large object such as a ship or asteroid or other large mass... then if we apply Einstein's space-time theory the object with the larger mass will move less (...) (22 years ago, 29-Dec-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.space)

  Re: A space physics question

"Jon Palmer" <jon@zemi.net> skrev i meddelandet news:H7uLH0.I7r@lugnet.com... (...) the (...) This is where the force equations will hit you hard :-) The next pulley will suddenly get a great force through the line, and needs to increase it's thrust (...) (22 years ago, 28-Dec-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.space)

  Re: A space physics question

(...) I'll say "sure" but with this question as a follow-up. Pulleys are usually used on Earth to gain a mechanical advantage. In space, since the object is weightless (but still has mass!) there isn't the need for the pulleys... at least as far as (...) (22 years ago, 29-Dec-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.space)

  Re: A space physics question

(...) ... (...) It would be far more efficient to attach thrusters to the object being winched and move it to that location - or, if that is not possible, attach the tether line (which you've got on your object being moved) to a tow ship. Assuming (...) (22 years ago, 28-Dec-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.space)

  A space physics question

Imagine a winch pulling a rope or cable through a series of pulleys (horizontal) that are staked to the ground. The pulleys are arranged so that the rope makes a zig zag pattern on the ground. There is an object at one end of the cable, being reeled (...) (22 years ago, 28-Dec-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.space)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact