 Off-Topic / Geek / 4085
Re: Geek trivia help?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 17:53:52 GMT

Embarassingly, I believe I know the answer to both of these.

Yep... under the command of Hordac, The Horde was the collective name for
the group of bad guys that harrassed She-Ra (He-Man's sister) in the land of
Etheria.  Originally the mentor of Skeletor, Hordac headed up a group of
nogoodniks such as Modulock and Grizzlor.  In a couple episodes, there were
crossovers to Eternia...the pilot and a Christmas special I
believe...brining all the characters into one big hoopla.  Also revealed, a
mysterious floating cybernetic monster named Horde Prime is the super big
bad guy pulling all the strings.

G.I. Joe seemed to pull genetically engineered characters out of a hat near
the end of it's 80's run.  The Cobra Emperor, Serpentor, was a genentic
amalgamation of sucessful (and ruthless) military leaders of the
past...Napoleon, Alexander, Julius Caesar etc.

In the G.I. Joe Movie, we are introduced to a secret society of genetically
serpentine inhabitants in the land of Cobra-la (help us...turn off the
TV..please).  Characters here all have genetically modified bodies with
various powers.  Such characters include Golobulus, Scorpina and Nemesis
Enforcer.  As it turns out, Cobra Commander is a citizen of this realm and
was sent years ago to build Cobra as a force to take over the world.  As
punishment for his failure, Golobulus throws some pixie dust on him and he
slowly turns into a snake throughout the movie.... perhaps this is the half
snake creature of fuzzy memories.

The sadest part is, with the exception of a couple of the Cobra-la names, I
remembered all this stuff without the assistance a couple geek sites I frequent.

I need help.

Cheers,
-Gil

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Dave Schuler writes:
Like any good geek, I ordinarily have a pretty good memory for worthless
pop-culture trivia, but I'm drawing a blank.  Therefore I call upon my geek
cronies to help me with this vital issue:

During the 80's, I believe, some cartoon or comic book or geeky film had a
group of bad guys called The Horde, but I absolutely can't remember what it
was.  Does this ring a bell for anyone?  I thought it might be a
vaguely-recollected element of the He-Man universe, since I never really got
into that show.

And what were those weirdo genetically-engineered GI Joe villains called?
There was one guy with the lower body of a snake (and, one assumes, a
troubled social life).

Any guesses?

    Dave!