 Off-Topic / Geek / 3978
3977  |  3979
Subject:
lorenzian waterwheel (chaos)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 12:20:58 GMT

Hi
I thought this group might be a good place to ask this question.
I'm interested in building a Lorenzian waterwheel and plotting the
phase space. I've done some research into this on the net, but the
most technical description I've found so far
(http://kendrick.colgate.edu/mboothe/chaos/section4.htm) isn't
thorough enough for me to carry out the experiment, as I don't know
what values to plot in phase space and how. (What properties of the
system must be known for this?.. angular velocity, leak rate, etc.,
How are they mapped into phase space? Will it form a strange
attractor?)

I'm looking for a good reference on the subject. I don't have a copy
of the much-cited "nonlinear dynamics and chaos" by Steven H. Strogatz
as it is not available in my locality. While searching on this group,
I sourced a paper that seems to have the relevant information
(http://link.aps.org/abstract/PRA/v45/p626), however I can't access
it. If any of you are part of an institution that subscribes to PROLA
and can mail me the above mentioned document, I would be most
grateful. If not then any other available online resource (or even
firsthand information) would also be greatly appreciated. I'm sorry
for all the trouble but I'm keen on doing this experiment, it's just
that I don't know how to go about it.
Regards,
Aatish Bhatia
aatish@mac.com