 Off-Topic / Geek / 3947
Re: Original Smiley Found (-:
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 19:14:52 GMT

mattdm@mattdm.org (Matthew Miller) writes:

Erik Olson <erik@olson.pair.com> wrote:
first proposed. Yet the original message in which the smiley was invented
had been lost -- until now. :-) ..."
http://research.microsoft.com/~mbj/Smiley/Smiley.html

Nice. I wonder when the superior modern denosed :) version started.

Well, back in the days when 40 column screens were common for BBS
users (Commodore 64, Apple ][, etc.) the :) version was preferable,
since :-) looked very much out of proportion.

Interestingly enough I remember from my BBS days that -) was often
used to indicate tongue-in-cheek postings.  The - was the tongue, and
the ) was the cheek; it was *not* a smiley.

--Bill.

                      Verbing weirds language.  --Calvin