 Off-Topic / Geek / 3918
Re: Globalization, H1-B Visas, Unemployment, ITAA Job Growth Estimates, Etc.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 15:33:51 GMT

Hmmm, I WAS trying to get the opinions of geeks mainly, but perhaps this
post belongs in "debate" instead.  I am trying illicate opinions about the
economic/political issues raised by this stuff.

-- Hop-Frog

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Richard Marchetti writes:
Hey Y'all:

I gather that many people here work in the "tech" industry one way or
another.  Given that, I wondered if any of you have opinions about the sorts
of things one finds at sites like "f-----company" or "netslaves."

How many people think that their jobs are threatened by globalization, H1-B
visas, continuing unemployment in the technology sector of the economy, the
ITAA  estimates of technology job growth, etc?  Do people truly think their
jobs are eventually going overseas or to underpaid H1-B workers here?

Here in the Bay Area, I have heard some talk of a third wave of unemployed
persons that cannot find steady work -- there simply is none to be found in
their field of interest.  Many feel things will not pick up again until some
time next year -- if even then.

Is the cause merely the collapse of the bubble, or are there actually myriad
related factors?  If the latter, what are those factors?

Opinions? I ask here in the hopes of getting something beyond the opinions
of the obviously angry or union-obsessed.

-- Hop-Frog