 Off-Topic / Geek / 3863
  mass of flying things

I think I know the answer to this already but I wanted to make sure with the physics masters here. If I have a sealed container with an organism flying around (not resting) inside of it, can I weigh the container and get a mass that includes the (...) (22 years ago, 1-Aug-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: mass of flying things

(...) There's that old story about the seafaring captain whose vessel was maxed out at 100 tonnes for cargo--but he could cary 200 tonnes of birds *if* he could guarantee that at least half of them would be in the air at the same time. Dave K (22 years ago, 1-Aug-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: mass of flying things

(...) I hope it wasn't just one 200 ton bird--that would really roc the boat. I'm also put in mind of the ship that struck an iceberg while carrying a cargo of yo-yos. It sank 158 times. Dave! (22 years ago, 1-Aug-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: mass of flying things

(...) I'd think so. If it's a sealed container, then when the flying creature does whatever it does to fly (flap its wings, levitate, whatever) it's going to push against the air, which will in turn push against the container, yielding the right (...) (22 years ago, 1-Aug-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: mass of flying things

(...) Hey, why don't you ask Jack Sto-- uh, I mean Felix Greco? Maggie C. (22 years ago, 2-Aug-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.people)

  Re: mass of flying things

(...) Mass would remain the same, but accurately measuring the weight might be tricky if the contents were bobbing up and down. Here's someone else's answer: (URL) J (22 years ago, 2-Aug-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: mass of flying things

(...) Felix Stone says "I can't worry about things like this! My house has no walls! I have to be fireman, cop, and rescue worker 24-7! There's a 6 to 1 ratio of men to women in my world! I have enough problems." ;^) (22 years ago, 2-Aug-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: mass of flying things

(...) weighing a jar of flies. Thanks for everyones insights. -c (22 years ago, 3-Aug-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)