 Off-Topic / Geek / 3872
Re: mass of flying things
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 11:44:26 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Adrian Drake writes:

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Christopher Tracey writes:

If I have a sealed container with  an organism flying around (not
resting) inside of it, can I weigh the container and get a mass that
includes the mass of the organism?

I'd think so.  If it's a sealed container, then when the flying creature
does whatever it does to fly (flap its wings, levitate, whatever) it's going
to push against the air, which will in turn push against the container,
yielding the right amount of mass for the whole closed system.

Mass would remain the same, but accurately measuring the weight might be
tricky if the contents were bobbing up and down.

Here's someone else's answer:
http://www.rain.org/~mkummel/stumpers/11dec98a.html

Jeff J