 Off-Topic / Geek / 3670
Re: Yet another question for all my math-based friends
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 21:07:36 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Dave Schuler writes:
Is there a standard form for the equation of an "irregular ellipse"?  I know
that's an oxymoron, but I don't know a better descriptor, other than to say
"sort of egg shaped" or "an ellipse slightly pinched on one side."  Anyone?

  Dave, you idiot!  If you'd looked on any credible online math
encyclopedia, you'd have seen immediately that the type of OVAL you're
looking for can be constructed by joining together two arcs of different
radii so that their centers lie on a line passing through the point of
juncture.  Duh!

     Dave!

Check out:  http://mathworld.pdox.net/math/o/o166.htm