 Off-Topic / Geek / 3616
Re: lego turing machine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 14:33:43 GMT

In article <Gtp9FI.62A@lugnet.com>, Aatish Bhatia <aatish@mac.com> wrote:
murphy's law at its best: due to bandwith problems, my server has cut off my
page. it now 1:30 am., and i've finally got a mirror up on an old yahoo
account. it should do fine. looks like 0catch.com had a very big catch.
www.geocities.com/aatishb/

An interesting idea, but the pedant and geek in me has to note that
this isn't a Turing machine.

Even ignoring Turing's original idea that the tape is infinite, the problem
is that the Turing machine placed its output back on the tape. It would
read input from one cell of the tape, and depending on a) the state the
machine is in (defined by the program), b) the input under the read head,
and c) what the program says to do for those two inputs, proceeds to write
output to the tape and then move the read head left or right.

The second problem is that a Turing machine has only one concept of memory,
and that's state.

What you have is pretty cool, a lego-tape binary adder, and its functionality
could be abstracted to that of a Turing machine,  but it's certainly not a
Turing machine.

-JDF
--
J.D. Forinash                                     ,-.
jd@forinash.not                                  ( <