 Off-Topic / Geek / 361
Re: OS advocacy (was: Re: Perl rules!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 17:10:41 GMT

Christopher L. Weeks <c576653@cclabs.missouri.edu> wrote:
For $2800 I can put together a P3 system that will perform as well, if
not better, than anything you can do on that G3.

What's your hourly rate of pay?  Add the time it takes you to research
current prices, order parts from different vendors, assemble the box,
tweak the OS, etc. and then where does the price fall?

Well, that's a good point.  I could buy a prebuilt machine that
matches that G3's specs for $1626.  Basically the same machine I just
ordered for myself at work minus the 21" monitor.  And I won't have to
buy a real keyboard and mouse in addition to the piece of junk toy
ones they ship with the G3.  :)  (And don't say they're usable - I
know several mega-Mac dudes who wouldn't touch either with a ten foot
pole)

But you're right, I ought to consider my time in building a machine,
since that's what I do anyway - I hardly ever buy a prebuilt machine.

Not sure I could put a price on the work I put into building a
machine.  If I did I guess I'd have to add value to it as well
considering I get exactly what I want, not random video card X, mostly
OK hard drive Y, and piece of junk gimmicky toy USB keyboard and mouse
that was made for a 6 year old hand.  So I guess ultimately it's a
tradeoff.

In my experience.  And I'm happy (gleeful, actually (except for not
finding a job)) to admit that I am wildly more proficient at
administering one or a whole network full of Macs.

Well, if your main administering experience is only with Macs I can
see why it might be hard finding a job.  Mainly because with the
exception of tiny niche pockets like graphics and such, the only place
in the world you find a network of Macs is at schools.

It's like rocket science with an abacus.  Everything on Windows feels
clunky to me.  This includes, but is not limited to: big wierd fonts
that you can change - but even then there is something different, the
way the mouse moves, the feel of the windowing system, and the strange
(using 3.1/95/98 anyway) corelience on DOS and Windows as seperate but
integral OSs.

Dunno what to say to that.  Windows "feels" just fine to me.  It works
most of the time, as does the MacOS work most of the time.

But the same product (Photoshop for instance) is faster and more
comfortable on the Mac.  I know lots of PC advocates who are willing to
concede that as a small victory for Macs.  I think it's more significant
than they do.

Faster in some respects, I guess.  More comfortable?  I learned
Photoshop in a 400 level art class a few years ago on a Mac.  Even
then, at version 4, I was able to load it up on my PC with almost no
effort.  Now the versions are almost transparently alike.

As I point out above, those limits have pros and cons.  It's quick and
easy to upgrade your hardware because there are so few producers to
choose from.

Well, that's one way of looking at it.  It's also much more expensive
to do so since there are so few producers to choose from.

Going from 95 -> 98 is a bit more than patching the OS.  And I'm not

Why?  It included AFAIK less system alterations than moving from system
7.5 to 8.0 which was just a little system upgrade.

With 7.5.1, 7.5.3, 7.5.5, 7.6, etc along the way, I suppose?

Obviously, I don't really have one yet, but I expect to by a powerbook
of somekind in the next couple of months.  I'll give the situation a bit
closer attention then.  If they're really just toys I'll make the same
choice.  OTOH, I really do love the look of the tangerine iBook.

I'm a little sick of orange, myself.

--
The pieces you want and nothing else - easy online bidding!
Lego Shop at Home: 800-835-4386 (USA) / 800-267-5346 (Canada)