 Off-Topic / Geek / 360
Re: OS advocacy (was: Re: Perl rules!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 16:26:48 GMT

Mike Stanley wrote:

Faster?  In what way, running what apps?  Sorry, but having used
everything from the original lunchbox to the latest blue+white G3 on
the Mac side and everything from the 8086 to a fully tripped-out
P3-550, it ain't so.  Maybe at various times over the years running
certain apps, but certainly not now, not by a long shot.

I frankly don't know all the specs of all the machines around, but WRT
the machines that I have around, I can count on the Macs being ~30% more
expensive and a variable amount faster in ways that I find important.
I've been using SETI@home as one benchmark, and complex Photoshop 5.0
filters as another.  I'm not using any sophisticated benchmarking
software.  It's also faster _for me_ to make changes to the system, surf
(for whatever reason - they have the same connections), load and save
big Word and Excel documents, reboot, etc.  YMM (and appears to) V.

For $2811 I can buy a G3 450 128mb/9gb SCSI (nice that the mac hasn't
forgotten the main thing that used to set them apart - too bad you
still have to spend $3k to get it), etc.

Agreed.

For $2800 I can put together a P3 system that will perform as well, if
not better, than anything you can do on that G3.

What's your hourly rate of pay?  Add the time it takes you to research
current prices, order parts from different vendors, assemble the box,
tweak the OS, etc. and then where does the price fall?

Reliable?  Maybe.

In my experience.  And I'm happy (gleeful, actually (except for not
finding a job)) to admit that I am wildly more proficient at
administering one or a whole network full of Macs.

Easier in any respect?  Maybe, although it isn't like using Windows is
rocket science.

It's like rocket science with an abacus.  Everything on Windows feels
clunky to me.  This includes, but is not limited to: big wierd fonts
that you can change - but even then there is something different, the
way the mouse moves, the feel of the windowing system, and the strange
(using 3.1/95/98 anyway) corelience on DOS and Windows as seperate but
integral OSs.

As for less reliant on MS, I'd say Apple-apologists won't be able to
claim that until everyone forgets the $100M old Billie-boy poured into
the company.

So what reply can I give?  MS gave some money (but not a big percentage
of Apples revenue for that one year).  So?  You think that kept Apple
afloat?  I suspect that if that were to be the case, MS wouldn't have
done it.  I think that MS was buying something from Apple and that's all.

As for "home to more and better graphics and multimedia software" -
again, maybe.  Certainly not the case with lots of the mainstream
stuff.  Adobe made more off PC products than Apple products last year
from what I read.

But the same product (Photoshop for instance) is faster and more
comfortable on the Mac.  I know lots of PC advocates who are willing to
concede that as a small victory for Macs.  I think it's more significant
than they do.

You are also more limited in your hardware expansion options.

Well, limited is a bit of an understatement.

As I point out above, those limits have pros and cons.  It's quick and
easy to upgrade your hardware because there are so few producers to
choose from.

Going from 95 -> 98 is a bit more than patching the OS.  And I'm not

Why?  It included AFAIK less system alterations than moving from system
7.5 to 8.0 which was just a little system upgrade.

You can have my iBook when you pry it out of my cold dead fingers :-)

You can have it.  If I want a toy I'll buy some more Lego sets.  If I
want a kickass Apple notebook I'll stick with the high-end 400mhz G3.
The only Macintosh I've seen that can keep up with my Tecra
feature-wise and performance-wise - all that and it costs less.  Now
if Apple could make their desktop machines do the same.

Obviously, I don't really have one yet, but I expect to by a powerbook
of somekind in the next couple of months.  I'll give the situation a bit
closer attention then.  If they're really just toys I'll make the same
choice.  OTOH, I really do love the look of the tangerine iBook.

--
Sincerely,

Christopher L. Weeks
central Missouri, USA