 Off-Topic / Geek / 353
Re: Perl rules!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 20:08:09 GMT

On Fri, 23 Jul 1999 01:42:54 GMT, cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com (Mike Stanley)
wrote:

Hrmmm, some stuff gets transported, yes, but it would be relatively
easy to severely limit cache size in the first place, even if you
couldn't turn off zapping it over the net entirely, which I think you
can.

I've heard a sysadmin rant about how IE & NT Do Not Approve of that.
He apparently was getting it set back to default automatically.

Very weird, but then again, NT is weird. I'll take `vi sendmail.cf`
over "Start, Configuration, Configuration Panel, MSMail" anyday.

Combine that with the 10 Mb ethernet virtually all universities still
use as their network architecture (with woefully overloaded segments,
usually, even), and.. well, let's just say _I_ wouldn't want to field
the complaints line.

Heh, I wish all our network was 10mb switched.  We've still got an
entire lab daisy-chained off one port.  Hoping that will change real
soon.

Switched? Did I mention switched? :)

Says I, whose personal network is coax... though not ARCnet.

I want Token Ring. Preferably 155 Mbps token ring, though, aka FDDI.
Not that I need it, and I'd probably enjoy a fractional T1 more for
less cost.. but hey, pipedreams. An E10k would be nice, too. Or the
newsservers as my ISP have now installed them... an E4k working
together with three two-headed PIII-450s/512M/50G running linux.

*slap* Keep your head together. Don't get drool on your keyboard.

I dread the day I am forced to work in first-line support helldesk to
be able to move up the ladder..

Been there, done that.  Now I'm taking care of the servers and some of
the workstations.  Just started that job and don't even *have* a phone
yet.

"... and pretty soon, they may move me up to fries!"

Sorry, couldn't resist.

No phone... I know a few people who'd switch with you. You get a
phone, but also the large salary, okay?

Jasper