 Off-Topic / Geek / 352
Re: Government's role [Was: Re: What happened?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 19:57:44 GMT

On Thu, 22 Jul 1999 22:51:36 GMT, Sproaticus <jsproat@io.com> wrote:

<3777AA6F.E773F137@voyager.net> <3777CD7E.FE00DE15@appstate.edu>
<3777F1EB.550FEE59@cclabs.missouri.edu>
<37782AF6.A05C00BC@appstate.edu>
<3778EB7D.F9CB09EF@cclabs.missouri.edu> <FEwnLs.Awx@lugnet.com>
<378DE654.1582693A@aeieng.com> <FEx1t6.7on@lugnet.com>
<378DF799.9B923A@aeieng.com> <378E950C.55E4C793@uswest.net>
<378EC82A.10AFC950@voyager.net> <378FE61B.68345E68@uswest.net>
<378FF5A5.56387117@voyager.net> <3792817C.F236D232@voyager.net>
<37a7a121.267405883@lug
                      ^^^^^^^^^^

Jasper Janssen wrote:
This is an interesting References: manglement.. is it a Mozilla
problem, or did Todd's newsserver screw up somewhere?

It's interesting to note that this was noticed back in February, as well:

http://www.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=1105&t=i&v=a

I suspect the newsserver isn't handling the references for extremely large
threads properly.

There's a limit (by RFC even, I believe) of 512 characters for the
with this: A) not, just make a header longer than 512. A few do this,
I think. B) properly, which is to delete the earliest msg-id from the
chain if the header would reach 512 otherwise.

Early versions of inn do  or try to do A), and this line ends up being
chopped in half somewhere before it gets injected into the newsserver,
leading to headers in the body and half a references line. Important
to note that some additional headers added by the server do follow, in
the header section, after References:.

Apparently, Netscape 4.5 and 4.51 have a bug in their newsreader
section which does something similar, but not quite as simple, to an
article.

In the case of posting via the web-interface screwing up - I would
place my bets on the "newsreader" bits of perl (Todd, do you make an
NNTP connection to localhost to inject articles, or do you do deeper
voodoo?).

I haven't yet noticed this bug in Netscape 4.5[01] showing up in other
newsgroups on my regular server, though. I fear it may be an
unfortunate interaction between the Todd-modified CNews and Netscape.

Jasper